Tuesday, November 5, 2013

I've been in Minnesota for a month!


Sidney with the Dobbins, the family housing her and her companion
Hello my family! How are you all doing? I heard that it snowed in Utah, which is super strange cause it still hasn't snowed here yet. No complaints though.

So I realized that I haven't talked much about the people that we are teaching. Super sorry about that. But we met with one of our investigators this week and had a way cool experience! We had been trying to get her to commit to a baptismal date, but she has lots of concerns and also talks A LOT so it's hard to say everything that we want to tell her. But this week we talked to her about the gospel of Jesus Christ and the cleansing power of the Atonement. She told us about some serious mistakes she has made in her life, and how much she regrets them now. We were able to testify to her about the cleansing effects of baptism and how she will be free of those sins she committed before. I wish I could explain to you all exactly what happened, and how strong the spirit was. It was so clear that Heavenly Father loves her SO much, and wants her to return to him. And as we invited her to be baptized, and she accepted I LOVED being able to promise her the blessings that come through baptism and receiving the Holy Ghost. We are SO excited for her to be baptized!!!

Another major event that happened this week is that one of the lady's in our ward had a baby, and the baby passed away. It's been a heartbreaking week for many of the members as they prepared for the funeral and lent a hand to the family. Our bishop invited us to come to the funeral to help show our support for the ward. It's interesting because our mission president invited us to study the plan of salvation for the past few weeks and write a paper summarizing the plan. So it's been on our minds quite a lot recently. Attending the funeral was hard, and brought back a lot of memories about the funerals I have attended before. Even with the knowledge of the plan of salvation it doesn't make losing a family member easy. We love them, and we love being in their presence and it's hard to know that for right now, we can't be with them. But oh my goodness how thankful I am for my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. For his ability to break the bands of death and rise again, and through him we all can live again. If I didn't know this before my mission I sure know it now that my family will be together forever. No matter when they are taken from this life, and how long I have to be here without them I know that I will see them again and be able to spend the rest of eternity with them. It's been such a blessing to know that as I spend the next year and a half away from those I love and cherish I will be able to help those who don't have that knowledge find peace and comfort in losing their loved ones by knowing that when a person dies they will live again, and we will be celebrated and rejoice as we join them in the next life. And right now, that's why I know I can do this, I can be away from my family, because this isn't the end for us.


Sorry for the super serious subject. I realize that probably my last two emails have been downers and hopefully it doesn't freak any potential missionaries out. I absolutely LOVE being a missionary. It's the hardest, most rewarding thing I have ever experienced! I have never felt such love for people I hardly even know, and also I've never understood the atonement as well as I do now, and I'm so glad I have 17 more months to study and learn from the scriptures. It's so awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment