Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Happy Holidays!

Hello!

This week was SO crazy! I can't believe how long it was! On Monday I said goodbye to all my friends and adopted family, packed up and moved over to Elm Creek. It's been a pretty stressful situation. The reason we were in a tripanionship was because Sister Smith's companion broke A LOT of rules and got sent home. But it turns out that my new companion, Sister Hudson, was trained by that same missionary. She's been out only 3 months longer than me, and the disobedience shown by her trainer really affected her ability to be the best missionary she can be.

It makes me so frustrated to see that by the choices that one missionary made it affected so many people around her. That area is now closed to sister missionaries for the time being, her past companions have difficulty focusing on the work and being obedient. And more rules have now been made and enforced to hopefully prevent a future occurrence. It upsets me because I have a testimony of how important this work is. We have the chance to change people's lives and bring them closer to God. We made the promise when we are baptized to take upon us Christ's name and be an example. When we make choices that are contrary to God's commandments the consequences are far reaching and effect all those around us. Luckily, the Atonement satisfies the demands that justice come to all those that have been wronged. But it's a process and takes time to find the comfort and solace that the atonement provides.

On Wednesday I got a call from President telling me that Grandpa died. Although it was not a surprise, I can't lie, it was hard. When President Monson made the age change in conference over a year ago, I found myself facing choices I now needed to make. As I was making the decision to serve a mission I often talked to God saying I don't mind serving a mission, and being gone for 18 months as long as I know that my family will be safe and nothing bad will happen to them while I'm gone. I never wanted to face what Andrew had to go through, dealing with his uncle dying while gone. Yet, here I am, going through a very similar thing. How did I get here? Because God requires faith. My family is being taken care of while I'm gone. It's not quite in the way I want it, but I know that grandpa is safe and where he needs to be.

Recently I've been working on memorizing Alma 7 verses 11-12. As I was sharing that scripture as a thought for dinner with my ward mission leader's family a certain part stuck out to me: “He will take upon him death, that he may lose the bands of death which do bind his people.” Because Christ was resurrected, we too will all be resurrected. I know that death is not the end for us and there is happiness waiting for us on the other side of the veil.

I know that this letter is DANG LONG! and the above part was super serious, but here comes all the crazy stuff that happened this week. First off, EVERYONE needs to watch “Miracle”. It takes place in BLOOMINGTON, MN! That's where the mission home is! We were able to watch the movie while at mission conference! HOLLA! It was super weird to watch a normal movie and I could NOT handle it when any one was shirtless but besides that it reminded me SO much of XC (Cross Country). Jody ALWAYS showed us part of that movie before state, probably to inspire us to defeat mountain view aka soviet union. As I was thinking about watching the movie in the past during xc I realize how much it has been able to help me on my mission! First of all because it's been DANG cold outside. like -10 ALL week. but because of cross country I've learned how to set goals, stay focused, and work hard! So even when it's hard, and cold we can still have fun tracting and maybe stopping at Mc'Ds to warm up for a few minutes.

Ahh I love being a missionary so much! God has blessed me so much in my life. Lately I've been reflecting on President Monson's talk from last conference entitled “He will not forsake us”. The story he shared of his blind and deaf friend on his death bed was heartbreaking. But I hope that at the end of my life I can have an attitude like his and tell everyone "God has been so kind to me." He has poured out his spirit upon me and blessed me with peace and perseverance to endure yet another day! Shall we not go on in such a great cause! Courage Brethren on to Victory!

"In the gospel of Jesus Christ you have help from both sides of the veil, and you must never forget that. When disappointment and discouragement strike-and they will- you remember and never forget that if our eyes could be opened we would see horses and chariots of fire as far as the eye can see riding at reckless speed to come to our protection. They will always be there, these armies of heaven, in defense of Abraham's seed." -elder Holland

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, ye are little children, and ye have not as yet understood how great blessings the Father hath in his own hands and prepared for you; And ye cannot bear all things now; nevertheless, be of good cheer, for I will lead you along." D&C 78:17-18


Love, Sister Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment