Saturday, July 19, 2014

July 14, 2014

MOM.

I have met my mission president a few times. We had mlc right after he got here, so he introduced himself to us. Cool quote from him "We are in the business of saving souls" and his wife is über cute. She's so funny, I wish I could describe her but I can't. Probably the closest thing is she's a lot like that really cool shirt that you find at a good will that is a bit out of place, super awesome and reminds you of the past.... yeah. I love her so much! And president Forbes is cool too. It's hard to adjust mission presidents and they are polar opposites of each other, but I'm excited to see how he will improve our mission.

I pad mini's? I hear about it. I hope not. But probably. It won't be for at least a few months. But eventually they will come. I abhor technology. Except for Mormon Messages. They are SO cool.

TEACHING! yes! It's been so cool. We are teaching a 17 year old named Rose. She's getting baptized next week. Actually it's cool cause her cousin Eddie was baptized into the Elm Creek ward in January. I was able to sing at his baptism, and now she's super stoked for her own baptism. Her family investigated like 10 years ago, but they are all so busy now they can't really put the effort and time into it. But she's a sweet heart. And we were able to teach her about Chastity and the Priesthood the other day. Oh. I love it so much. Helping these wonderful young women recognize that they will have a wonderful husband. And be sealed together forever. And he will preside over the family with his priesthood to comfort and heal their children. It's something that is far greater than most people realize. Especially the youth from Africa. They have no idea what a true celestial marriage can be. It's so fulfilling to be able to teach them. We are still teaching many Africans. It's such a blessing. They hold such a tender place in my heart. I love them all so much.

STL. hmm it's good! haha it's hard to be a leader! When I first got into the MTC and became a stl I was like "heck yeah. I'm a leader!" and when I got out I was like, "I'm ready to lead people!" but after training I was totally ready to just have a normal companion, and be able to spend as much time proselyting as possible and really focus on the work. It was not meant to be though. I can't say that I love being an STL but I've certainly learned a lot! Our ward mission leader said something interesting the other day. He said that we will never rise higher than we do on our missions. We have such huge burdens placed on us and we how we respond to the duty of being a missionary is how we will perform our callings for the rest of our lives. Our activity in the church is HUGELY affected by how we act on our missions. And it's true. It is so easy to be here. I'm not joking. I see missionaries here who are wasting their time, because they are here but they are not open to learn, or to change. Anyone can go on a mission. But really doing it. and Being it takes so much work. And I hope one day I can fill the responsibility. Until then I am learning so much about trusting in the Lord, and being humble, and submissive. He wants to change us. He wants to lead us. But are we God's progressing investigators? As missionaries we lead people to baptism. But we can't drag them. We can't force them. They have to have that desire themselves. and if they don't. Then we leave them alone until they are willing to change. And God wants us. He wants our salvation. But he can't give it to us, or force us to take it. AHH so cool. I love being a missionary. It's the greatest gift on earth.

For Pday. haha we are updating our area book and napping but probably actually biking. It's been a crazy few weeks and our area book is so disorganized! Plus we've been waking up at 5:45 to go exercise with the ladies in our ward to take them running :) but now I am SO tired but it is so worth it. But I also love sleep.

Sorry my letters are always so crazy.

Funny story.

We were passing by these African children the other day and they were playing bubble gum in a dish. So then they ask us if we have gum (we don't) and sister smith says "i have a mint" They MOBBED her, like she disappeared in this sea of African children. The only way I knew she was there is from her blonde hair showing at the top. It was terrifying, a lot like Finding Nemo and those bird things. And they all wanted a mint and followed us around until they got one. Now she has no mints. And little children flock to us daily #missionprobs.

Also, I was thinking a lot about our extended family and the cool FHE that we do. How stellar would it be to go up the canyon and do a family fireside? or a testimony meeting? I know that we all have testimonies, and believe in the gospel. But we are not nearly as invested in each others salvation than we should be. Like, let's be real if you never had the slightest worry that some of the grandchildren might not turn out right. Well it's up to us to teach, and testify. And I so regret not taking the opportunity to share my testimony with the family more. So some ideas for you.

I hope that you have a great week. Tell dad happy birthday!

How was feeding the sisters? What did you eat?

Have fun at the reunion? Is that the one that sister Bretzing goes to? Tell her hello. And start recruiting people for the next Ragnar.

I love YOU!

Sister Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment